This is part 1 of a series of blog posts following my experience of recording with Logic Pro and learning as I go.
I spent a while last week recording “Strength”, one of my songs from back in 1994. I recorded the guitar using a metronome and two mic inputs (direct and SM58 pointed at the sound hole). Both these went through my Focusrite scarlett and then into Logic. I then applied some of the basic lessons I had learned from watching YouTube videos on compression and EQ techniques.
Listen to this version of “Strength” here: [audio https://alastairvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/strength-03Jul2012.mp3|titles=Strength (03 Jul 2012)|artists=Alastair Vance]
I definitely got a much better guitar tone than I did the last time, but the vocals lack something. It’s hard to put a finger on it, but there is lack of passion or dynamic in the vocal. I think it’s because I recorded the guitar and vocal part separately. I am so used to singing and playing at the same time, that often those two elements build off each other.
Getting the right amount of reverb on the vocal is difficult. I’m not 100% happy with the settings I have used on the attached vocal – so more work needed there also.
After discussing some options with Darrell on Sunday, I have decided to do the following:
- Scrap current attached version.
- Record a scratch track – i.e. guitar and vocal together against a metronome.
- Record guitar again with two inputs, except this time use Samson condensor instead of the Shure SM58.
- Record vocal using condensor.
- Dump scratch track.
Keep an eye on my blog to hear the latest versions of the track and how it was recorded.