I had my first Tartiflette at a restaurant in France while on a skiing trip – it was amazing. I found a recipe on the back of block of Reblochon cheese and have been making it ever since. You might find it difficult sourcing Reblochon, so use Raclette as a good substitute.
- Par boil the potatoes in a little salted water.
- Chop the challots.
- Fry the pancetta in a little oil. You may substitute the pancetta with cubed ham or chopped bacon. Add the shallots and fry a little longer.
- Take the potatoes and slice enough for a top coat. The rest can be chopped and put into the bottom of the oven dish.
- Add the fried pancetta, shallots and Crème fraîche and mix well.
- Now place the sliced potatoes on the top.
- Slice the cheese and layer on top of the sliced potato.
- Pre-heat oven to 425f.
- Place oven dish in the middle of the oven for 40-45 minutes (or until top is brown)
Serve with lettuce leaves, cold meats and of course, a glass of wine.